Facebook Inc. is considering supporting features related to nonfungible tokens (NFTs), along with the launch of its Novi digital wallet.
- David Marcus, head of Facebook Financial, the internal group developing the company’s Novi digital wallet, said that this wallet can be used to hold NFTs as well.
- “We’re definitely looking at the number of ways to get involved in the space because we think we’re in a really good position to do so,” said Marcus
- The company’s digital wallet is ready to be launched but the company wants to launch it with Diem, Facebook developed cryptocurrency. This digital currency was earlier known as Libra which Marcus co-founded from within Facebook in 2019.
- Marcus is of the view that “When you have a good crypto wallet like Novi will be, you also have to think about how to help consumers support NFTs”.
- The launch of the Diem offering a so-called stablecoin received pushback from the regulators and lawmakers and Marcus might consider launching the Novi wallet without Diem “as a last resort”.